Ryan v. Marriott Corporation
The plaintiff, a 12-year-old girl, claimed $500,000 in medical expenses after allegedly eating an undercooked cheeseburger. The claim was that the burger was contaminated with various bacteria. While in hospital, the plaintiff almost died twice, allegedly as a result of the undercooked meat.
This was an extremely difficult case that involved microbiology, food processing and other important issues, involving both technical and psychological aspects.
After a three week trial the jury awarded the plaintiff nothing more than emergency room expenses. None of the big damages were awarded since there was no contrary proof that burger was undercooked.