EDUCATIONB.S., magna cum laude, Boston College
J.D., Boston College Law School
BAR ADMISSIONSNew Jersey Pennsylvania
COURT ADMISSIONS• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
• U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
• U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
• U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
Ryan J. O’Neil is a trial attorney representing clients in complex commercial and products liability litigation in both federal and state courts across the United States. Mr. O’Neil has experience representing clients at all phases of litigation, including pre-litigation counseling and investigation, motion practice, fact and expert discovery, oral argument, pretrial, trial and appeal, and at mediation. He also advises clients in assessing strategies designed to avoid litigation and manage risk.
Mr. O’Neil’s representative matters include:
• Served as national counsel to manufacturer of medical implant devices and biologics in product liability cases nationwide, including a complex multidistrict litigation in federal court and a coordinated proceeding in state court consisting of over 1,000 cases.
• Member of trial team that obtained a defense verdict following a two-week jury trial for medical device manufacturer facing claim that its hip implant product had been improperly mislabeled.
• Member of trial team that obtained a defense verdict following a two-week jury trial for medical device manufacturer facing multimillion dollar products liability claim that metal-on-metal hip implant products were unreasonably dangerous.
• Member of trial team representing medical device manufacturer during three-week bellwether jury trial as part of federal multidistrict litigation asserting products liability claims involving metal-on-metal hip implant products.
• Member of trial team representing national transportation corporation during eight-week consolidated jury trial involving multiple plaintiffs’ claims following motor vehicle collision.
• Member of appellate team that obtained the complete affirmance of a defense verdict for medical device manufacturer on issues including the exclusion of prior deposition testimony at trial and a jury instruction given on the unavoidably unsafe doctrine.
• Obtained federal court dismissal of product liability complaint against medical device manufacturer based upon a finding that the court lacked general and specific personal jurisdiction over the manufacturer.
• Obtained complete dismissal without leave to amend of California state court action filed against a medical device manufacturer involving claims of design and manufacturing defect, failure to warn, negligence, and loss of consortium arising from the implantation of prosthetic hip implant components.
• Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of medical device manufacturer in contract dispute with a former product distributor.
• Member of team that served as legal counsel to the special committee of a bank, counseling the bank through OCC investigations and issuing a comprehensive report of investigation which was submitted to the OCC.
• Member of team that represented former officer and director of publicly traded company in high-profile SEC investigation that resulted in the SEC issuing a “no action” letter to conclude its multi-year inquiry.
• Successfully obtained SSI/SSDI benefits for individual client facing risk of homelessness (pro bono).
Mr. O’Neil is a 2012 graduate of Boston College Law School, where he was an executive editor for the Uniform Commercial Code Reporter-Digest and winner of the 2011 Wendell F. Grimes Moot Court Competition. He is also a 2009 magna cum laude graduate of Boston College, with Honors in Economics, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
• Pennsylvania Bar Association
• Defense Research Institute (DRI)
• Graduate of 2016 International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Star (2019)